CHELD Domestic Violence Media Alert
Policeman who shot lover’s sister arrested
Emmanuel Okujo, the police corporal accused of shooting 23-year-old Blessing Isanbor on February 10, 2012 in the Gbagada area of Lagos has been arrested by the Lagos State Police Command.
Okujo, who also absconded with the victim’s younger sister, Patience, turned himself in at the State Investigation Bureau on Monday evening with Patience.
Man beats lover to death in Rivers
TRAGEDY struck on Saturday in Borokiri Area of Port Harcourt, the Rivers State capital, when a 30 year-old man allegedly beat his girlfriend to death.
The man, ObinnaEze, was said to have engage his lover in a heated argument that later degenerated into a scuffle.
It was gathered that Eze hit the deceased several times on the head until she lost consciousness, a development that attracted other residents.
Leadership – She Turned Me into a Wife Beater – Husband
I know people who read this will ask me to stop blaming other people for my predicament or for who I am today, but I will say it without mincing words that, Kate, my wife, is the architect of the monster I have become today – a wife beater!
June 19, 2012
Woman pours hot water on husband’s penis
A 27-year-old housewife, Nike Fasoyinu, is on trial for allegedly pouring hot water on her husband’s penis.
The accused was said to have attacked her husband, Amos, because she suspected he was engaging in extra marital sex with other women.
Amos, who also suffered burns in other parts of his lower body, is presently receiving medical attention at a hospital.
Nike, a mother of two children, was arrested after the incident which happened at their residence at Egan, on the outskirts of Lagos State.
The police prosecutor said the alleged offence was contrary to section 244 of the Criminal Code law of Lagos State of Nigeria 2011.
The accused pleaded not guilty when the charge was read to her.
Presiding Magistrate M. B. Folami granted her bail in the sum of N100, 000 with two sureties in like sum, and adjourned the matter till a further date.
PM News, June 19, 2012
The Odds against Domestic Violence Laws
Domestic violence, also known as domestic abuse, spousal abuse, battering, family violence, and intimate partner violence, is a pattern of abusive behaviours by one partner against another in an intimate relationship such as marriage, dating, family, or cohabitation. Domestic violence and abuse is not limited to obvious physical violence. It can also mean endangerment, criminal coercion, kidnapping, unlawful imprisonment, trespassing, harassment, and stalking to gain or maintain power and control over another intimate partner.
June 19, 2012
Daily Guide Ghana
Nigerian Man Suspected of Killing 19yr Old Ghanaian Girlfriend
26 year old unemployed Nigerian, Nathaniel UdamaAdu, is in the grips of the Mile 7 Police in connection with the murder of a 19-year-old SHS leaver, Matilda Asante, believed to be his girlfriend, at Tantra Hills in Accra.
Detectives from the station were dispatched immediately after information got to the station at about 7:45am on Monday, June 18, 2012 that a dead body had been found at Tantra Hills.
July 6, 2012
Ekiti police parade wife killer
The Ekiti Police Command has arrested a student of the Ekiti State University (EKSU), DanusaJimoh, who allegedly caused his wife, Mope’s death.
The Command Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), OluBabayemi, made this known while parading the suspect before journalists in Ado-Ekiti on Thursday.
He said that the incident occurred on July 3 at No. 1 Idemo Street, Are-Ekiti, where the suspect engaged the deceased in a brawl.
- CHELD’s Conversations on Domestic Violence: Our First Edition at the University of Lagos, December, 201274Domestic abuse and violence, is a societal menace, a serious public health issue, which often has negative intergenerational impacts. Many people, particularly women, but even a few men, and the children who witness abuse in their homes have suffered and continue to suffer without knowledge of how to address this…
- 74Domestic violence and abuse are human rights violations which impact the health of individuals (particularly women) and have high economic costs for the society. Although it is hard to put concrete figures on the incidence of domestic violence and abuse in Nigeria because of the silence that often surrounds it,…
- 73April 2012 Leadership: Berserk Husband Kills Son, Burns Wife With Hot Iron http://leadership.ng/nga/articles/23138/2012/04/28/berserk_husband_kills_son_burns_wife_hot_iron.html Vanguard - Man kills only son, burns wife with hot pressing iron http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/04/man-kills-only-son-burns-wife-with-hot-pressing-iron/ Vanguard - How adultery led woman to an early grave -http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/04/how-adultery-led-woman-to-an-early-grave/ PM News - Escalation of Domestic Violence In Nigeria – http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2012/04/26/escalation-of-domestic-violence-in-nigeria/ PM News…
- 68One of the projects that we are undertaking at CHELD is joining our efforts with existing work against domestic violence in Nigeria. Domestic violence is coming out of the shadows and spilling onto the papers and social media, issuing screams loudly for all to hear. When we began to think…
- 67To commemorate, the 16 Days of Activism to End Violence against Women, The Centre for Health Ethics Law and Development (CHELD) hosted another edition of its Conversations on Domestic Violence on Saturday December 6, 2014. This event was held in the lovely ambience of Ginger Tapas Bar and Grill, one…